Sunday, July 26, 2009

Week 2

Week 2 of posting, we're on a roll. We don't have any pictures to post this week, but some things of note have happened. Israel's been hard at work on a new client this past week while I finished my Abydos Writing Institute this past Thursday. I had to send one of my pieces off to get published, yikes! Friday morning, Samara (the other Activity Day leader) and I took seven girls to a free play of Alice in Wonderland downtown at the Miller Outdoor Theater.

Early Saturday morning landed Israel and I in the ER. I woke up with intense pain under my ribs. After trying to read to distract my mind from the pain, I started moaning and groaning. It started affecting my breathing. Israel, not so sure what to do, asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. The $100 copay slowed down my desire to go, but it got to the point that money didn't matter. I also was afraid it might just be "gas" and thought this will be the most expensive gas on record. By the time I got to the hospital, the pain was getting better and by the time the doctor was in my room, I didn't feel all that bad. I explained that it was probably just gas, laughing from embarrassment. He didn't like that I was trying to diagnose my ailment and sent me to get an ultrasound and bloodwork. The ultrasound tech was only supposed to check out the upper right quadrant, but his instrument "slid" and we got a sneak peak at the baby. It was exciting to see the legs and arms and something that resembled a baby instead of a pulsating blob. We, however, didn't get to find out the gender. We'll have to wait until this coming Friday for that. Well, the real diagnosis is that I have gallstones. They would probably do surgery if I wasn't prego, but it will have to wait until after the baby comes. The doctor told me to expect it to get worse the more pregnant I am and put me on a very low fat diet. I guess all those years of not watching my diet have caught up to me. Lots of fruits, vegetables, crackers, beans, and rice are on the menu for quite sometime. Goodbye butter, pizza, sour cream, cheese, ice cream, meat, cream cheese, etc. It was quite sad to go to the grocery store yesterday. I walked down the aisles with Israel, "Can't eat that. Can't eat that. Can't eat that." Anyone have good recipes?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, the vegetarian meals that Jarod and I ate for a year are low-fat and very tasty. Alright, not as tasty as fat, fat, and more fat...but it will get the job done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I found that green peppers and onions were also a killer for me. Anything that gave me heartburn added to my discomfort gallstone wise. Rice an I became very good friends. Man I wish I could take it away from you. Hang in there. The surgery once you have it, is a piece of cake compared to what your Mom went through. It was an in out surgery for me. Spoke in church 42 hours after the surgery. Moved three weeks after that. If you can at night, sleep elevated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bri and Livi. Bri, were a lot of your recipes out of a Rachael Ray book? I kind of remember you saying something once about it, but I could be going crazy. Prego Brain!

    ReplyDelete